1. Because you can travel everywhere by bike.
2. Or hop on the back of your friend’s bike.
3. Because this is how people take their kids to school.
4. Because it’s easy to get to places thanks to the trams.
5. Because you can smoke weed if you want.
If you want to avoid the stag dos head into The Pijp where the coffeeshops are less touristy.
6. Because the Bruin cafés give you a slice of authentic Amsterdam life.
7. Because the IJ-Hallen are a thrifty shopper’s paradise.
8. In fact, the city is full of excellent markets!
9. Because you can eat poffertjes.
10. And they even sell them on the street.
11. In fact, street food in general is awesome.
12. Because you can get fast food out of a wall.
13. Because they know how to serve chips.
14. Because Amsterdam takes its coffee very seriously.
15. Because New Years Eve in Amsterdam is one of a kind.
Seriously, Dutch people go crazy for fireworks.
16. And the firework debris the next day turns the city into a mesmerizing sea of red.
17. Because the people of Amsterdam love to hang out on terraces.
18. They even squeeze terraces onto little decks over the canals.
19. Seriously, people-watching in Amsterdam never gets boring.
20. Because there are museums aplenty.
Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and the Stedelijk Museum are the most well-known museums but you can go for something a little different at the Sex Museum or check out the Royal Institute for the Tropics, to learn more about tropical areas around the world.